Catholic Schoolhouse engages the whole person.
How do we do this? With simple goals that focus on what teens need:
- Grow in virtue in the company of other saints
- Study the true, good, and beautiful
- Prepare students to enter adulthood with the courage and confidence to change the world
The Des Moines Chapter has offered Upper Level courses in 7 of it’s 8 years!
The overview (which can be requested from the upper level director at email@example.com) lays out by subject what will be covered in each Tour for both levels in the three-year cycle.
Upper Level Highlights
- Two program levels!
Dialectic: grades 7-9 (ages 13-16)
Rhetoric: grades 10-12 (ages 15-18)
- Suggestions for what to study at home and access to all homework for the entire year is provided through our Basecamp access point, including discussion boards for parents.
- IEW for dialectic, Lost Tools of Writing for rhetoric give you composition you can trust.
- Our one-of-a-kind Fine Arts Program offers quarterly seminars integrating art, music history, and culture in addition to hands-on projects in the style of famous artists of the time period.
- Latin exposure to motivate and inspire your student. Common Latin prayers demonstrate how Latin is still alive in our faith, while roots build vocabulary.
- Hands-on science for dialectic—no messes at home!
- Yearly high school credit: government, economics, and philosophy/logic.
- We’ve added credit integration information to help you with transcripts.
- Focus on classical elements, such as Aristotle’s Three Occasions for Speech, the Five Cannons of Rhetoric, and more.
Why should YOUR family choose Catholic Schoolhouse’s Upper Level Program?
- We strive to be one-stop shopping for the busy mom. Our expanding program provides for the needs of everyone in the family, including older children, at the same time and same location.
- We gather older students with the primary goal of interacting with one another (communication skills), growing in right thinking (logic and philosophy) and recognizing the true, good and beautiful (fine arts) because there we will find God.
- We raise the expectations for our older students to include classwork that is credit-worthy. This frees time in mom’s teaching responsibilities and gives students exposure to another teacher’s style.
- We guide students to learn to think and prepare them to express and defend their opinions, not just check a box on a curriculum checklist. We are aware that we are forming future Catholic adults, not just educating children.
- We provide community for both parents and students at this sometimes- difficult stage of development. Families can enjoy group interaction with peers with similar goals.
- We give families the flexibility to structure their home school to their own family’s needs. We can provide a spine for entire family’s learning or be a wonderful addition to the curriculum you already use.
- We include fine arts, a subject that is too often dropped with the busy life of high school. This exposure to the good, true, and beautiful is essential in forming our young adults.
Catholic Schoolhouse is loyal to the Magisterium of the Roman Catholic Church and has received the nihil obstat and imprimatur for all three Tours of our curriculum.
Click on the link below for specific information about our Upper Level programs:
Catholic Schoolhouse Registration Fee: $90.00 (per family) *$70.00 (per family) early bird
Student Fee: $300.00 (per child)
Supply Fee: $165.00 (per child)
Facility Fee: TBD (per family) based on number of families to offset rental fees
We will meet for 24 weeks throughout the 2019-2020 academic year with a break every four weeks. We will begin August 28, 2019. Our Winter Break is scheduled December 5, 2019 – January 7, 2020. Our last class is April 08, 2020. We will have a Share Fair and year end celebration on Friday, April 24, 2020.